Grace Church-Supported Missionary Family Don and Amy Rogers, International Directors, Empowering Lives International
Don – December 11
Amy – September 12
Joshua – September 26, 1999
Nathaniel – December 3, 2002
Wedding Anniversary: May 18
Brief Profile: Thank you for your interest in our lives and ministry! We thank God for the opportunity He has provided for our family to serve amongst the poor. God has helped us to lead the poor to a relationship with Christ and to empower them with skills and training that will help break the cycle of poverty that surrounds their lives and villages. We have the privilege and responsibility to oversee and direct the work of ELI, which has expanded from Kenya to the neighboring countries of Tanzania, South Sudan, and DR Congo.
Don’s first trip to Tanzania in 1989 was the first of many that would later lead to the founding of ELI in 1995. Since that time, Don and Amy have served alongside national leadership to establish “Skills for Life Training Centers” in Kenya and Tanzania as well as two orphanages (raising 229 children) and an alcohol recovery home and program in Kenya. These centers integrate Biblical teaching with dynamic ideas and skills that can help the poor address the challenges that oppress their lives spiritually, physically, and economically.
ELI also partners with villages in Tanzania to drill and establish fresh water wells where people are suffering because of lack of clean water sources. ELI has also helped build an elementary school in South Sudan and also in Bukavu, DR Congo in the middle of the Keredi slum where over 500 children are receiving an education and daily lunch.
Currently, the needs of the ministry necessitate the Rogers investing time in the USA to help build the USA staff, equip short-term teams, and raise funds for the orphanages and training programs. Your prayers and partnership are appreciated and vital to the work. Thank you! It is a privilege to know that together we are… Empowering lives.
History of ELI: The call for ministry began after several years of Christian outreach and leadership development in Tanzania. ELI founder Don Rogers, while working with Tanzanian Christians and churches, found the lack of food and other necessities of life a disturbing commonality among the villages. Many new believers cried out for work–seeking any opportunity to earn income for food, clothes, medicine, and school fees. In 1995, ELI was formed and immediately expanded its initial ministry of evangelism and Bible training to include projects addressing the physical sufferings faced by the people. This holistic work continues to open up new communities to both the Word of God and practical ideas for breaking the cycle of poverty at the village level. What began with a few volunteers has grown to become a dynamic team made up of over 100 full-time nationals and Americans working side by side. Volunteers from the USA also participate each year in short-term opportunities provided by ELI.
Praise and pray: Below are a few of our praises and prayer requests for our family and the ministry. Thank you for standing with us in prayer. It is such an encouragement to our family. We look forward to updating you on how God is moving.
- 24 children have now graduated from high school and the ELI orphanages and are now pursuing higher education! Pray they will stand strong in their walk with Christ. We have brought new children into the home and are praying for more sponsors. See our website to get involved.
- God has enabled us to reach over 400 women who because of poverty had been brewing and selling illegal alcohol. We provided training to them one life at a time that has turned their lives toward Christ and out of that dark business to other work like raising chickens, farming, and baking. God is good! Over 500 MORE women are now waiting for a chance to also receive training! Pray that we can reach them and see them come to Christ as well! See our website to help change a life with this dynamic weeklong training.
- We are exploring more water-drilling methods that will enable even more communities to have access to clean water!
- God’s protection and favor on Nathaniel and Joshua as they attend junior high and high school and adjust to life in the USA.
- Pray for Don and Amy as they lead the overall organization that impacts lives in Kenya, Tanzania, South Sudan, and DR Congo. They need a covering of protection when they travel, wisdom in decisions, and increased number of partners to support the orphans and growing needs for training suffering families.
Empowering Lives International
Mailing: P. O. Box 67, Upland, CA 91785
Street Address: 422 North Second Avenue, Upland, CA 91786-4701
Phone: (909) 931-1311
Where They Serve: Tanzania, South Sudan, Kenya, and DR Congo.